Born in Żory, Poland, on 28 September 1989,
Joanna Szymala graduated in music theory and composition at the Karol Szymanowski Academy of Music in Katowice. She is currently studying post-graduate composition there under professor Eugeniusz Knapik.
Passionate about jazz as well as classical music, Joanna also holds a degree in jazz composition and arrangement.
Her compositions have been performed in many concerts and festivals, including Festiwal Muzyki Nowej (New Music Festival), Śląskie Spotkania z Muzyką Nową (Silesian Encounters with New Music), Brand New Music. Her composition Configuratio featured on the 2010 album Wizytówki, published by the Katowice Academy.
Joanna also composes electro-acoustic music and her pieces frequently feature in concerts of electronic music.
In 2012 Joanna won the Grzegorz Fitelberg Composers Competition for her symphonic work Continuum, first perfomed on 27 January 2012 during the Karol Stryja In Memoriam concert at the Silesian Philharmonic in Katowice.
Singing popular music influenced by jazz is lighter but no lesser a passion of the young composer. She can be heard singing in various festivals and competitions and has met with success nationally and internationally.
Important compositions and their premieres:
– Quintet – 26 March 2009, Katowice Academy of Music – performed by Orkiestra Muzyki Nowej,
– Octet – 08 December 2009, Katowice Academy of Music – performed by Orkiestra Muzyki Nowej, performed during the Brand New Music festival,
– Phantasmagoria – 26 February 2010, Katowice Academy of Music – performed by Katowice Academy of Music Big Band and Composer’s Ensamble conducted by Ed Partyka (USA),
– Configuratio – 27 April 2010, Katowice Academy of Music – performed by Orkiestra Muzyki Nowej, recorded and published by Katowice Academy of Music on the albumWizytówki,
– Through the prisms – 28 April 2010, Katowice Academy of Music, electroacoustic work, acoustic part performed by Ariadna Willman (cello),
– Moja shikantaza – 19 December 2010, performed by Lorien Trio, performed during the 9th New Music Festival in Bytom,
– Warning – 30 March 2011, Katowice Academy of Music, electroacoustic work, acoustic part performed by Piotr Schmidt (trumpet) and Joanna Szymala (violin),
– Cool spaces – 12 December 2011, Żory – performed by Tomasz Manderla (violin),
– Continuum – 27 January 2012, Silesian Philharmonic in Katowice
– Metafor(m)a – 29 March 2012, Katowice Academy of Music – performed by Orkiestra Muzyki Nowej,
– Mystery – 01 June 2012, Katowice Academy of Music – performed by Katowice Academy of Music Big Band.